Whether you haven’t played with mud since you were a toddler or you’re already a savvy hand builder and wheel thrower, allow Hayden to introduce you to the beautiful world of porcelain Slip Casting. Slip Casting is a pottery technique in which slip (liquid clay) is poured into a plaster mould and allowed to set. It has the advantage of increasing production speed and control of identical ceramic pieces and creating complex shapes that cannot be produced by other methods such as hand building or wheel throwing.
This is a short two evening workshop (Wednesday 20th June and Wednesday 27th June) and will give you technical skill and confidence to create your own one part plaster moulds and to cast with porcelain slip. It is based in Hayden's studio in Marrickville. An overview is as follows:
- Wednesday 20th June (6.30-8.30 pm): make a plaster mould of a small tumbler cup or bowl.
-Over the week your mould will dry ready for the next lesson.
- Wednesday 27th June (6.30-8.30 pm): you will cast 1-2 cups from your new mould and 1-2 pieces from a Hayden Youlley Design Paper series mould. You will be given a demonstration on how to clean up or ‘fettle’ your cup, ready for firing.
- Your pieces will be fired and they will be available for you to take home at a later date.
- Cup/bowl prototype to mould
- Use of all required tools and equipment during class
- All plaster, porcelain slip, glaze and any required materials.
- All Firing Costs required to complete your porcelain pieces.
You will make a porcelain cup by learning to:
- Make a one part plaster mould
- Cast a one part cup mould with porcelain slip.
- Clean or ‘fettle’ your casted cup.
- Understand other commercial slips on the market including earthenware.
- Understand how to buy and store pottery plaster and porcelain slip.
- Understand how to mix, strain and colour porcelain slip.
Please message me for cancellations. Conditions for cancellation are as follows.
- full refund if attendance is cancelled more than 1 week out from the class
-50% refund if attendance is cancelled between 7 days and 48h before class
-no refund if attendance is cancelled less than 48h before the class start
-the teacher reserves the right to cancel a class 1 week before the class date if minimum class numbers are not met
- Apron or clothes that you don't mind getting covered in clay and plaster. Clay will completely wash out of clothes but plaster will not.
- Closed toe shoes
- Pencil & notebook